How can you get rid of used hearing aids? The answer is definitely the same whether you decide to upgrade to a more sophisticated model such as cochlear implants or you got them from a departed relative: your pre-owned hearing aids need to be donated instead of throwing them away.
There are a lot of people suffering from hearing loss who could use a donated hearing aid, and a number of institutions out there that collect and circulate those hearing aids to the people in need. Keep reading to discover how and why to donate pre-owned hearing aids.
Why You Should Consider Donating Your Used Hearing Aids
- Of the total populace, around 14% suffer from some type of hearing loss
- Of all of the adults who have hearing loss 91% percent are above the age of 50
- 15% of school-age children have some form of hearing loss
- Almost 29 million adults with hearing loss can benefit from hearing aids, but…
- …hearing aids are actually utilized by only 16% (4.6 million) of them
- The average age for first-time hearing aid users is 70, but again…
- Of those over 70 who need hearing aids, less than 30% percent have ever used them
This is really worrisome. Because health problems like cognitive decline, increased risk of falling, and depression have been associated with untreated hearing loss. The importance of your hearing to your overall health is supported by new studies coming out all of the time. These health issues can be prevented and in some situations reversed by hearing aids.
And the last convincing fact is that loss of hearing can cost the typical family $12,000 in earnings every year. But hearing aids can actually reduce that cost by up to 50%.
It might not be feasible for families who lose $12,000 a year to afford to buy hearing aids.
For an individual in need, who can’t afford a hearing aid, your pre-owned hearing aids can have a big impact on their financial well being, quality of life, and overall health. It may also cost a child the ability to get into college and make their lives better because they can’t hear in school.
How to Donate Your Used Hearing Aid
There are numerous volunteer organizations and makers who help recycle old hearing aids. Come by and we can help you find a recycling program. Or you can just give us a call.